These days it takes a lot to shock people, to make them stop and reflect with horror on a situation.
One such incident was the Baby P incident where an innocent child was ruthlessly beaten, tortured, and then murdered.
Another example before that is the murder of Jamie Bulger, the toddler who was abducted by two boys no more than eleven years old, tortured and then murdered.
And now we have another example.
Last May the body of 27 year old Michael Gilbert was found. It was severely dismembered and an autopsy showed that before his gruesome death the victim had suffered years of abuse.
This is harrowing to even consider and come to terms with. The idea of being forced to sleep chained to a radiator is disturbing. As is the thought that to even consider escape would lead to more severe beatings and abuse.
To die and succumb to death is one thing, but to do so in a slow and painful manner at the hands of people who have no mercy or remorse is perhaps even more terrifying.
- The Watts brothers of Chertsey close, Luton are accused of murder.
- Their father Antonio Watt is accused familial homicide and perverting the course of justice.
- Their mother, Jennifer Smith-Dennis, is charged with familial homicide and two counts of perverting the course of justice.
- Nichola Roberts, 21, of Burfold Close, Luton, the girlfriend of the accused men's brother, Richard Watt, is charged with murder, familial homicide and perverting the course of justice.
- Natasha Oldfield, 29, of Chertsey Close, who is the girlfriend of James Watt, faces the same charges as Ms Roberts.
Of course all of these people are innocent until proven guilty and I will not be one to caste blame, however that is six people in the docks accused of this man's gruesome murder. That's six people who conspired to send this man to his death in the most inhumane way.
I sincerly hope for the sake of Mr Gilbert that the guilty person, or people, are brought to justice and given what can only be a life sentence and nothing less.
Rest in peace Mr Gilbert.