Welcome!

Welcome to my random mostly topical blog.
I hope you enjoy it it whatever capacity you feel necessary!

Saturday 26 March 2011

Spiders in the Tree's

Last year during the terrible floods in Pakistan hordes of spiders looked for refuge. They eventually found it in the tree's, and that is where they stayed. Over time they all spun webs one by one and eventually the tree's were filled with silky webs.



















Quite incredible. I used to enjoy climbing tree's when I was a kid, but I think that if I was asked to climb this tree I'd probably refuse.

Apart from looking spectacular there is also another positive side:

"People in this part of Sindh, in south eastern Pakistan, near Karachi, have never seen this phenomenon before, but locals are reporting that there are now fewer mosquito's than they would expect, given the amount of stagnant, standing water that is around.
It is thought that the mosquito's are getting caught in the spiders web and reducing the risk of malaria, benefiting local people."
So, everybodies a winner?



Source:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1370181/The-ghost-trees-Pakistan-Spider-webs-cocoon-branches-creepy-effect-floods.html

No comments: